You are here


If you choose to major in communicative disorders, you'll earn your Bachelor of Arts degree in Speech Pathology & Audiology. The undergraduate degree is a pre-professional degree that is designed to prepare you for graduate programs in speech language pathology or audiology. If you want to earn the credentials you need to practice in a communicative disorders profession (e.g., ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence, or earn state licensure), you'll need a graduate degree.

In addition to foundational courses in the biological, physical, statistics, and social/behavioral sciences and humanities, you'll take courses that cover normal language and speech sound development, language disorders, speech disorders, anatomy of hearing and speech mechanisms, phonetics, communication science, and introduction to audiology. This coursework serves as a basis for you to pursue graduate study in speech and language pathology, audiology, the speech sciences, and applied language and speech sciences.

Visit the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association for more information related to undergraduate education in communication sciences and disorders.

Learn more about the communicative disorder major's requirements, courses and four-year plan, and career opportunities.